Saturday, September 20, 2014

Media Coverage of my article "Sex Work, Tech Unemployment and the Basic Income Guarantee"

,

A few months back I published an article in the Journal of Evolution and Technology entitled "Sex Work, Technological Unemployment and the Basic Income Guarantee". The article was part of a symposium on future impacts of technology on employment and the potential need to reform social welfare. The article explored the possible effects of advances in robotics on the sex work industry. I summarised the arguments in a blog post entitled "Will Sex Workers be Replaced by Robots? A Precis".

Unsurprisingly (I guess), this article has proven quite popular, and has been discussed on a number of other websites. As an exercise in shameless navel-gazing, I thought I would try to collect links to all those websites here. If you know of any more, please let me know:


  • Pando Daily - "Academics Dream of Electric Sex Workers" - Another slightly negative, or at least tongue-in-cheek take on the topic. Based partly on an interview with me, but featuring a number of inaccuracies (e.g. it's not true to say that the majority of research on this is conducted by "stodgy British scholars". We may be stodgy, but as far as I am aware most of us aren't British)
  • Ekstra Bladet - "Sexrobotter tager ludernes arbejde" - Definitely NSFW! I have no idea what this says, but apparently Ekstra Bladet is a Danish tabloid, and one of the more popular Danish news websites.

It is noticeable that few of these mention the basic income part of the article.




No comments:

Post a Comment